The historical production unit of Chiaravalle (Ancona, Italy) was founded in 1759 by the Cistercian monks for the development of tobacco-growing in the Papal State and, subsequently, for the manufacture of tobacco products to the Kingdom of Italy and to the State Monopolies.
The building enjoys its greatest development in the 19th century, when it became an economic-working reference point and symbol of the urban industrial community, thanks to the work of women cigar makers who were employed at the factory and which constituted one of the most lively traditions.
In 1945, the State Monopolies administration commissioned to Pierluigi Nervi the reconstruction of two buildings:
Nervi was related to Ancona and Marche not only by professional reasons but also by family feelings. This is confirmed in 1960 through the subscription at Marche Academy of Science, Literature and Arts.
At Chiaravalle, this great architect is confronted with a historical industrial building which preserves, where possible, the outer wall structure, but intervenes with a complete replacement of floors and of the vertical structures of the internal side. The work carried out shows the adoption of a large series of structural solutions in reinforced concrete and iron (hollow blocks of iron).